Terrapin Logo 5 Release Notes
The ESC and Enter keys were swapped in the Confirm Restart and Confirm Quit dialogs; pressing ESC in these dialogs caused the action to be taken, which is very undesirable.
A few minor fixes:
- bug fixes in the MIDI sound generators
- (SAVEPIC) opens a dialog in the Web version
- the Ino-Bot splits turns of more than 180 degrees into multiple turns
A minor fix in the Listener output, plus an updated help file for the desktop version.
Logo has now a shape editor! Use the Tools / Shape Editor… menu, or the EDSHAPE command to launch. More information can be found at The Logo manual.
STAMPOVAL and STAMPRECT have a new fourth optional input that controls the angle to use for stamping.
Fixed a minor bug in PLAY, causing unknown notes to be played as an annoying sine tone.
The Stop button in the Listener title bar remained disabled if a program was run from within the Editor panel.
The default music synthesizer was not the high-quality synth.
Entering backticks did not work correctly.
The SETTURTLESIZE command now accepts negative sizes, causing the shapes to flip horizontally or vertically. Examples:
(SETTURTLESIZE -1 1) flips horizontally and sets the size to 1.
(SETTURTLESIZE 2 -2) flips vertically and sets the size to 2.
Double-clicking a Logo file did load the desktop version of Logo, but did not load the file contents into the editor.
The icon bar was initially hiden - it should have been visible.
The greeting has changed; the name has been removed.
Minor bug fixes.
DELETEMENUITEM changed the menu to use the menu ID instead of the labels.
The InO-Bot section in the Blocks panel displayed a black block instead of a block that lets you move InO-Bot for a certain distance.
Dialogs with edit fields would not accept spaces anymore.
The logon dialog has a checkbox where you can enable the screen-reader friendly version.
- The Save button on the editor saves a file quietly if saved more than once.
- DRAW also executes UNFREEZEPIC.
- The Toggle Comment menu item is back (it was deleted accidentially).
- Pro-Bot support has been removed, because Web browser access to serial ports is impossible on the Mac for now. It may be added in again at a later time.
- The Stop/Pause buttons at the Listener panel did not work.
This major new release offers new accessibility features. Use the URL suffix
/accessibility to enable the following:
- A simplified Listener with separate input and output regions
- A very simple procedure editor
- A simplified debugger
- Larger fonts
There is a new icon “?” in each panel’s title bar that, when clicked, displays a short explanation about the panel.
ClassLink support has been dropped from the multi-user versions.
The desktop versions now loads the Blocks panel from a local file instead of the server.
Logo minor version bumped to 5.2 for technical reasons.
Logo editor: If a TO command had an error (like e.g. ‘TO SQUARE 1’), the error message was not displayed.
SETBOUNDS does not throw on inputs that are too large, but limits them to max 1000.
Commands like SETXY now adjust for internal rounding errors when using SETSPEED other than 1.
SETSHAPE and DRAW did not reset the size of a widget if it was altered with the SIZE property. Updated the help to the latest version.
Each widget has a new property
WRAPMODE that, if not set to
DEFAULT, overrides the wrap mode
set at the Graphics window. This lets widgets use different wrap modes.
Updated the internal UI framework to the latest release; added the FREEZEPIC and UNFREEZEPIC commands.
All READxxx commands did not return an empty list or empty word on empty lines, but rather skipped them. This fix may break existing programs which, for example, rely on user input from the keyboard not being empty.
Widget movements have been updated to 30 frames per second, which makes movements much smoother.
We removed the ability to define a password for the login code log-in. People have confused the Logo password with their Magento password often enough, and it has created some support workload.
- SNAP, LOADPIC and SAVEPIC have a new MODE input that can select between background and drawing.
- Enhanced Load/Save/Print Graphics dialogs.
- PE did not erase properly.
- Added a Select Layout dialog.
Added a button to the Help panel to display the current page in a separate browser tab.
- Created a custom version of a list box that displays properly on tables and phones.
- Fixed clipboard issues.
- Fixed a bug where repeated saves of the editor saved into the “Terrapin Logo” folder.
- iOS devices are prevented from playing sounds.
- Hit testing has been added.
Commands for Tuff-Bot have been added. These begin with TUFFBOT, and are very similar to Blue-Bot commands. Also, the free trial has been removed in favor of free 14-day login codes.
This desktop fix display a message box if the Logo executable is from 2019 or below - too much has changed internally to keep backwards compatibility with older desktop releases.
LOAD, LOADPIC, LOADSHAPE etc cannot load from disk anymore from within a Logo program. Use the new FILECHOOSER control instead, and use GPROP “chooser “FILE as input for these commands.
- Online help was switched to the new resources server.
- Controls did not display well on Chrome if the display was zoomed.
- KEY did not report shifted letters correctly.
The URLs in environment files were not compatible across browser and desktop versions of Logo.
Browser specific fixes:
- Edge did not honor the INDEX property of a LISTBOX.
- Safari and Firefox reported images sizes incorrectly sometimes.
- Better Bluetooth error messages for Opera and Edge.
- Firefox drew a border around STATICTEXT controls, and did not honor the BORDER property for GRID.
- Fixed a Safari bug where reloading the same image did not fire any events.
- Logo hung during startup if Firefox launched the window in private mode.
- Bluetooth and ProBot have been enabled for the trial version.
- Cut/copy/paste now use the high level browser events. The trial version lets you not use copy/paste to move source code between Logo and another app anymore.
- Minor bug fixes.
- The name of an image loaded with LOADSNAP contained the file extension (eg .PNG).
- Added TELL list contents to undo actions.
- Windows: UNC paths were converted to local paths when saving a file
- Desktop release: When saving a file failed, no error message was displayed.